July 06, 2012

A Classic Comparison



















Art historians often compare and contrast images to begin a conversation concerning two works of art.  This winter I visited the de Kooning: A Retrospective exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City and the more I gazed at the massive paintings of de Kooning’s women, the more I wished I could see them next to one of the many versions of Picasso’s Weeping Woman.  I chose this comparison to begin My Art Notes because I believe these paintings can raise some interesting questions concerning the relationship between the artist and model and between the painting and beholder.  For example, are these women sad, angry, or terrified?  Should we fear them, or do they fear us?  Both Picasso and de Kooning have painted similar subjects, albeit each employing their own formal styles.  It amazes me that both of these paintings evoke a similar mood in their depiction of an anxious, almost monstrous female.  Yet each image is quite beautiful.  Note de Kooning’s lovely pastel palette and Picasso’s careful curling of his woman’s hair and eyelashes.

For more on de Kooning: A Retrospective-

For more on Picasso’s Weeping Woman-

No comments: